Yokohama, Japan, October 18, 2018 - Hosts Japan look to finish fifth in the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship as they play 2014 titleholders USA on Friday in Yokohama Arena.2018 FIVB Women's World Championship semifinals:
• Serbia v Netherlands
• China v ItalyMatch for fifth place:Head-to-head
• Japan won each of the first four encounters between these countries at World Championships, but United States have won four of the next six.
• The last meeting between these teams at the World Championship was in the match for the bronze medal in 2010, when Japan won 3-2.
• The last two US victories over Japan at World Championships both came in 1994 (both 3-1).
• United States have won each of their last 11 major meetings at world level with Japan, since a 3-0 defeat at the 2011 World Cup.
• The women's world level major competitions are: the Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Grand Champions Cup and the Volleyball Nations League.Japan
• For the third time in the last four World Championships, Japan will finish in the top six. They came sixth in 2006, third in 2010 and seventh four years ago.
• In 2006, Japan also had to play a match for fifth place, which they lost against China (3-0).
• After winning seven of their first eight matches at this World Championship, Japan have now lost each of their last three.
• At World Championships, Japan have not lost four successive matches since 1998-2002. They have not lost four in a row within a single World Championship since 1986.
• Three of Japan's four defeats in this tournament needed a fifth set to be decided.
• Mako Kobata ranks as this tournament's best receiver. Her efficiency stands at 48.53%.
• Four years ago, USA won their first world title in women's volleyball, a crown that will not be retained.
• The titleholders in this competition have never finished outside the top five at the next World Championship.
• Following a 10-match winning streak at World Championships, United States have now lost four in a row in the competition.
• The last time USA lost more than four matches in a row at World Championships was 1974-1978: 10 successive defeats.
• Kelsey Robinson has made 134 digs at the 2018 World Championship, more than any other player.
Quick links - Volleyball: