Zhu Ting in action against the Netherlands, as she leads China to victory in the closing match of Round 3 at the 2018 FIVB World Championship in Japan.
Lausanne, Switzerland, October 17, 2018 - Italy suffered their first defeat in the competition after falling to Serbia and China downed the Netherlands, as the semifinals of the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship were set on Tuesday.2018 FIVB Women's World Championship semifinals:
• Serbia v Netherlands
• China v Italy
The top six teams rest for the next two days, as they travel to Yokohama for the remaining five matches in the tournament. The semifinals will be played on Friday, as will the 5th-place playoff between Japan and USA.Serbia's Tijana Boskovic on a massive attack Tuesday evening in Nagoya, as Italy suffer their first defeat in the 2018 FIVB World Championship after a 10-0 run.
Powered once again by Tijana Boskovic who scored 29 points, Serbia put an end to Italy's 10-match winning streak at this World Championship to top Pool G of Round 3.
Rio 2016 Olympic champions China, meanwhile, came back from a set down to defeat the Netherlands in four sets, with Zhu Ting scoring 19 points and Yuan Xinyue adding 16 to cancel out Lonneke Slotejes' match-high 26. The result means China top Pool H.
Neither match had any significance other than to determine pairings for the semifinals.Zhang Changning gets the ball past the Dutch double block of Juliet Lohuis and Lonneke Sloetjes as China win in four sets at Nagoya in the 2018 World Championship.Match Centres:
• Italy - Serbia 1-3
• Netherlands v China 1-3Other Tuesday highlights:
• Paola Egonu extended her lead in the race to finish top scorer of this World Championship, after she bagged 28 points in Italy's four-set defeat to Serbia. Lonneke Sloetjes, who brought in 26 points for the Netherlands against China, has now dropped just a little further behind, at 246 to 238. Each player has two matches remaining in the competition.
• Boskovic attacked for 60% (27/45) against Italy to improve her overall record at the top of the best spikers lists to 56.39% (128/227).
• Anna Danesi stuffed the Serbs four times on Tuesday, improving her overall average per set throughout the tournament to .92 (with a total of 36). The 22-year-old Italian middle blocker continues to lead the best blockers table both in average and in absolute numbers.
• Sloetjes served two aces against China, but the Dutch opposite remains at the top of the best servers list amongst the players still in contention with .59 per set. However, Azerbaijan's Polina Rahimova left the tournament at the end of Round 2 on .67 as overall leader.
• The semifinal lineup remains good for a potential rematch in the final of the Rio 2016 Olympics gold medal game in which China defeated Serbia in four sets.Maja Ognjenovic connects with Milena Rasic in Nagoya, as Serbia hand Italy their first defeat in the 2018 FIVB World Championship.Quick links - Volleyball:FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Japan 2018NewsScheduleCompetitionTeamsResults and rankingTicketsVolleyball TV