Kobe, Japan, October 3, 2018 - Defending champions USA will be hoping to keep their winning momentum and claim their fourth win in their match with Thailand in the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship.
• Thailand have won only one of their 21 major encounters at world level with United States.
• World level major competitions are: Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Grand Champions Cup and Nations League.
• That Thai victory came at the 2009 World Grand Prix, where Thailand triumphed 3-2 in Bangkok.
• Both meetings at World Championships between these teams were won by USA, 3-1 in 2010 and in straight sets in the pool phase in 2014.
• These teams met in the Nations League earlier this year. On 31 May, visiting United States won 3-0 in Bangkok.United States
• Reigning world champions United States started their 2018 campaign with 3-0 wins against Azerbaijan and Trinidad & Tobago and a 3-1 victory over Republic of Korea.
• United States won their first eight matches at the 2014 World Championship, of which five victories came in straight sets.
• Since the start of the 2014 World Championship, United States have won 14 of their 16 matches in the competition. The defeats came back-to-back in 2014, against Brazil and Italy (both 3-0).
• Kelly Murphy (18 points) was the top scorer of United States against Republic of Korea on Tuesday.Thailand
• Thailand started their World Championship with wins over Republic of Korea and Trinidad & Tobago and a loss against Russia.
• Thailand could win three matches at a single World Championship for the second time, after four wins in 2010.
• In each of the three 2018 World Championship matches involving Thailand, both teams won at least one set. In 2014, all five of their matches were decided in straight sets (1 win, 4 losses).
• Pimpichaya Kokram has scored a team-leading 51 points for Thailand at this World Championship.