Yokohama, Japan, October 18, 2018 - Serbia continue to aim for their best-ever FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship result in Friday's semifinal encounter with the Netherlands, a team which has already attained its best finish in the history of the competition.2018 FIVB Women's World Championship semifinals:
• Serbia v Netherlands
• China v ItalyMatch for fifth place:
· Earlier in this tournament, Netherlands defeated Serbia in straight sets in their final match of the second round.
· Serbia, who had already qualified for the Final Six, rested Tijana Boskovic in that match, the tournament's best spiker. No Serbia player registered more than 10 points in that match.
· Netherlands, needing to win only a single set in that match, were led by Lonneke Slöetjes's 23 points. It was their first victory over Serbia at World Championships.
· These teams also met at the World Championships in 1978 and 2014. In 1978, Serbia won 3-1 in the first round while four years ago, Serbia defeated the Dutch in straight sets in the second round.
· Earlier this year, these teams also met in the Volleyball Nations League. On June 7, Netherlands overcame 37 points by Tijana Boskovic to emerge victorious 3-2 in front of a home crowd in Rotterdam.
· In 2017, these sides met in the final of the European Championship, when Serbia won 3-1 in Baku.Serbia
· With a victory, Serbia will be guaranteed their best finish at the World Championship. Their best showing in the competition is a third place finish in 2006 (as Serbia and Montenegro).
· In 2006, they lost their semifinal 3-1 against Brazil before defeating Italy 3-0 in the bronze medal match.
· Serbia have already improved on their performances from 2010 and 2014, when they finished in eighth and seventh place respectively.
· Serbia started this tournament with seven straight victories, before losing two in a row. They have now won their last two.
· Tijana Boskovic (56.39% success rate) is the tournament's best spiker. Silvija Popovic is the tournament's best digger, averaging 3.31 per set.Netherlands
· Netherlands are already guaranteed their best finish at the World Championship. Their previous best showing in the competition was a seventh place finish in 1998.
· Volleyball teams representing Netherlands only won one world championship medal. On the men's side, they claimed a silver medal in 1994, losing the final to Italy.
· Netherlands have to play semifinals of a world level major tournament for the third time, losing on both previous occasions: 3-1 against Brazil at the 2016 World Grand Prix and 3-1 against China at the 2016 Olympic Games.
· Netherlands have won nine of their 11 matches in this tournament, only losing to Brazil (3-2) in the second round and China (3-1) in the Final Six.
· Netherlands' nine victories in Japan are as many as they won at the previous two World Championships combined (5 in 2010, 4 in 2014).
· Netherlands have won six matches at the 2018 World Championship by a 3-0 score line, including against Serbia in the second round. They have never won seven matches in straight sets in a single edition of a world level major competition.
· Lonneke Slöetjes leads Netherlands on 238 points in this tournament. Only Italy's Paola Egonu (246) has scored more in this tournament.
Quick links - Volleyball: