Sapporo, Japan, September 30, 2018 - After winning on opening day
Italy are looking for another win when they play Canada for the first time in the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship.
• This is the first match between Canada and Italy at the World Championship, and at any world level major competition.
• The women's world level major competitions are: Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Grand Champions Cup and Nations League.
• Canada have lost their last 17 World Championship matches against CEV opposition, since a 3-1 win versus Finland in 1978.
• Italy's last match against a NORCECA team at the World Championship resulted in a 3-0 win against United States in 2014.
• Canada opened their World Championship with a 3-0 loss against Turkey.
• Canada have now lost five straight World Championship matches, since a 3-1 win over Cameroon in their opener in 2014. That was Canada's only victory in their last 15 matches in the tournament.
• Kiera Van Ryk reached double figures in scoring against Turkey (12 points).
• Jennifer Cross was responsible for all of Canada's four points from stuff blocks in the match against Turkey.
• Italy started their 2018 World Championship with a 3-0 win over Bulgaria.
• In 2014, Italy started their campaign with four wins, in 2010 with three.
• In 2014, each of Italy's first three matches finished in a 3-0 victory.
• Paola Ogechi Egonu (17), Miryam Fatime Sylla (16) and Lucia Bosetti (13) all reached double figures in scoring against Bulgaria on Saturday.