Osaka, Japan, October 11, 2018 - China are seeking to avenge their losses in previous editions to Russia to finish the second round with a total of eight wins in the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship.
• Russia (incl. predecessors) have won six of the previous 11 World Championship meetings with China, including each of the last three (2002, 2006, 2010).
• China's last World Championships victory over Russia came in the 1998 semifinals. China won in straight sets, but fell to Cuba in the final.
• None of the previous World Championship meetings between Russia and China ended in five sets.
• At world major level, Russia (incl. predecessors) lead the head-to-head against China with 30 wins to 29.
• China have won six of the last seven world level encounters with Russia, including the last two: 3-0 at the 2017 Grand Champions Cup and 3-0 at the 2018 Nations League. Russia's victory in this run came at the 2017 World Grand Prix (3-1).
• The women's world level major competitions are: the Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Grand Champions Cup and the Nations League.China
• China are already certain of reaching the last six. China finished in the top six in all but two of their last 10 World Cup participations (8th in 1994, 10th in 2010).
• China are two time world champions. In 1982 they won their maiden world title, which they retained four years later.
• China have lost only one of their eight matches at this World Championship, a 3-1 defeat against Italy in the first round.Russia
• Russia need to win to have a chance to advance to the final six. If that win is by 3-2, their fate will depend on the outcome of the Italy v USA match.
• In 16 previous World Championship participations, Russia (includes Soviet Union) never finished outside the top six. Their poorest showing is a sixth place finish. This occurred in 1982 and 1986, when China won their only two world titles so far.
• Four years ago, Russia finished fifth in the tournament and that ended a string of six successive top three finishes for them at World Championships.
• Russia are coming off their second defeat in this tournament, 3-1 against Italy. Four years ago, they finished their World Championship campaign with back-to-back defeats.