Yokohama, Japan, September 30, 2018 - Cameroon hope to maintain their winning start in the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship, where they will play Germany for the first time on Sunday.
• This is the first time Cameroon and Germany will play against each other at the World Championship.
• This will also be the first time Cameroon and Germany face each other at a major world level competition.
• World level major competitions are: Olympic Games, World Championship, World Cup, World Grand Prix, Grand Champions Cup and Nations League.
• German teams have won all five encounters with African teams at World Championships. Most recently, Germany beat Tunisia 3-0 in 2014.
• Cameroon have lost all four matches against European opposition at the World Championship.Cameroon
• After losing their first 10 matches at World Championships (2006, 2014), Cameroon claimed their first ever victory by beating Mexico 3-1 on Saturday.
• Cameroon also become the first African side to win a match at the World Championship.
• This was the second time Cameroon managed to win a set in a World Championship match. The other time was in a 3-1 defeat against Canada in 2014.
• Cameroon scored 92 points against Mexico. Until the match against Mexico, their highest number of points in a World Championship match was 66 (v Canada in 2014).
• Laetitia Crescence Moma Bassoko was Cameroon's top scorer against Mexico with 21 points.Germany
• Germany lost their 2018 World Championship opener against Netherlands: 3-1.
• In 2014, Germany also started with a defeat (3-2 v Dominican Republic) before winning their following two encounters against Argentina and Tunisia.
• The last time Germany started a World Championship with back-to-back defeats was in 1998, when they lost all three of their World Championship matches.
• Louisa Lippmann scored 24 of Germany's 98 total points against Netherlands, most of all German players.