Canada head to Turkey and Italy to prepare for the World Championship in Japan
Ottawa, Canada, August 17, 2018 - Canada’s national team is heading to Turkey to ramp up preparation for the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship in Japan from September 29 to October 20.
Quick links - Volleyball:
Their road to the Worlds begins this week in Istanbul, where the team will play and train until August 23, and following that the women head to Rimini, Italy. On the tour, the women will play friendly matches against Turkey (world ranked 12th), Bulgaria (17th), and Germany (13th). Canada is currently ranked 19th.
"I was pleased that we have had some success in our zone (NORCECA) earlier this summer, with the bronze medal at the Pan Am Cup," said Marcello Abbondanza. "Now I’m looking forward to this tour to focus and enhance our training for the Worlds, which is our most important and challenging tournament this year."
The team will return to its home base in Canada for final Worlds' preparation in September.
Women’s Team Roster for August 2018 tour:
# Name (Position) Hometown
1. Jessie Niles (libero), Turner Valley, AB
2. Autumn Bailey (outside hitter) Burlington, ON
4. Kyla Richey (outside hitter) Roberts Creek, BC
5. Danielle Smith (setter) Beaverlodge, AB
6. Alissa Coulter (outside hitter) Calgary, AB
7. Brianna Beamish (outside hitter) Surrey, BC
8. Alicia Ogoms (middle) Winnipeg, MB
9. Alexa Gray (outside hitter) Calgary, AB
11. Anna Feore (libero) Stratford, ON
12. Jennifer Cross (middle) Scarborough, ON
16. Shainah Joseph (right side) Ottawa, ON
18. Kim Robitaille (setter) Repentigny, QC
19. Marie-Alex Bélanger (outside hitter) Saint-Alphonse-Rodriguez, QC
22. Megan Cyr (setter) St. Andrews, MB
23. Emily Maglio (middle) Cranbrook, BC
25. Kiera Van Ryk (right side) Surrey, BC
Head Coach: Marcello Abbondanza
Assistant Coaches: Vincenzo Mallia, Richard Schick, Rossano Bertocco
Therapist: Thiago Menon
Statistician : Tommaso Barbato